Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Present for Hicks

I made this for a dear friend of mine named Casey for Christmas. Unbeknownst to most, I wanted to make something personal for him to display in his room to which I decided on using his middle name is Hicks.

 




 Went to a local lumber store called Austin Hardwood Lumber located in Santa Ana, CA (http://www.austinhardwoodsonline.com/) that was recommended by a close friend because I wanted to use a different type of wood that had a bit more character. I was able to find this really interesting wood called Zebra-wood, it has really light golden wood lined with a burnt sienna resembling the stripes of a zebra. I ended up putting a water-based polycrylic protective finish on the piece which darken up and made the stripes more vibrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment